Sunday, September 22, 2013

Style Rules Part 1: Balance

Balance

I've compiled some of my personal guidelines I follow when picking out an outfit. I try to be creative and show off my personal style without looking too young. At least, that's the stage of life I'm in right now. I'm a mom. There I said it. I am a mother, but I don't have to dress in mom jeans and oversized t-shirts. On the opposite end of the spectrum would be dressing like a high-schooler in skin tight everything. That just won't do. Most of the time the juniors section is cut too short and you find fourteen year old Emma down the street wearing the same thing. 

When wearing a loose top, I make sure to pair it with a fitted bottom.



The top is visually interesting. She keeps the rest neutral.
 


Here is an example of focusing on the pants. They are a beautiful green color while her top and accessories are in the same neutral tan palette.

Another option: Add a fitted blazer/cardigan for added eye-appeal. I love this look for fall. I wish it would get down to the mid to low 60s like it usually down in Fall in Southern California. It is still upper 70s and makes no sense to wear a blazer if I'm sweating bullets under it.

 
 

Yet another option: Chunky knot on top- adding bulk. Sleek legging/jegging on the bottom.
 
 



You can wear those awesome lounge pants or wide-leg trousers better if you add a fitted top instead of a loose one.

This combo is great if you are bottom heavy like me. It draws a line straight down instead of cinching at the thighs like skinny jeans often do.




You can tell she is wearing wedges which help elongate her legs. She kept her top tucked in.


I just realized how similar these example photos are. I guess I like the green/white combo.
via



What are some ways you balance your wardrobe?

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this post! You hit the nail on the head! I like to make sure I keep balanced with colors vs. neutrals--making sure I don't have too many colors going on, but I also don't want my outfit to be bland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I noticed that I have to work to keep my outfit from being too crazy. Having one focal point makes the outfit grounded.

      Delete
  2. Great post! I agree with you about the "mom" thing. I'm 37 years old but I'm 5'0" and depending on what I'm wearing (or how I do my hair and make up) I can look 14, 18, or 45. I'm paying more attention to proportions too. When I started my style journey I was only looking to wear the trendiest colors. Then I paid more attention to the trendiest styles. Then I realized that none of that matters if the clothes don't fit well. Now I'm paying more attention to balance and proportions. (Merrick has several really good Babble posts on these things.)

    ReplyDelete

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin