Thursday, October 3, 2013

Style Rules Part 4: Proper Fit


Welcome back to the Style Rules Series. Catch part 1, part 2 and part 3, if you missed them.

Today I'm focusing on proper fitting clothes. I can't stress enough how essential fit is to your clothing. It makes or breaks an outfit, and can make you feel put together and polished, or frumpy and disheveled.

There are amazing examples all over Pinterest of great-fitting clothing. One of the reasons I try to buy clothing at such a discount is I try to get my clothing tailored to fit, and count that into the cost of an item when I purchase it.

For example: When I used to work full time, I would often buy work pants at J Crew or Express. The pants would fit in the thigh, but the waist would be a bit too large. I would calculate the cost of altering that piece into the final price and would never pay over $30. I ended up spending around $40 (most of the time less) for pants on sale.

Even if an item is on sale or 95% off, if it doesn't fit (or you won't tailor it later) what's the point? You just end up with a closet full of clothes you don't feel great in.

Some key points:
-I know "mom" jeans aren't cool, but neither is a huge muffin top over your pants because they're too tight. Please buy higher waisted pants or go up a size or two. It's just embarrassing.



via
These ladies got it right. Lauren's pants are tight but not so tight that they cut into her middle.



-Oversized blazers are cute on some people but be aware if you are creating a "lollipop" figure if you have a curvier top half. If you are going for that look, make sure the shoulders are where they should be and tailor the arms to achieve more of a fitted look. You don't want to look like you're wearing you're husbands suit jacket.


via


via


via


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin